SKIP TO CONTENT LINK

Bardon Mill & Henshaw: Churches

Places Of Worship by Antoinette Wailes-Wilson

Beltingham Church postcard ©Unknown

Beltingham Church

The district had five places of worship: Beltingham C. of E. Church, Henshaw All Hallows C. of E. Church. There was also a Primitive Methodist Chapel, which became the W.I. Hall and is now a private house; a Wesleyan Chapel, now Croft Methodist Chapel, part of the Haltwhistle Circuit; and a United Methodist Chapel in Bardon Mill, now a private house, which was formerly attached to the Hexham Methodist Circuit.
All were extremely well-attended and had Sunday Schools. There was a yearly outing to Whitley Bay which was the highlight of the year. Attached to the various churches and chapels were the G.F.S. (Girls' Friendly Society), also Christian Endeavor and various choirs. There were concerts, socials, carol-singing, camp meetings and Sunday School anniversaries which brought people together too.


The Church Hall

Notes by Fred & Maureen Brook, with additional material by Mary Taylor

Richard and Mary Taylor now live at the house known as "The Meadows". This charming building was once a church hall which served both All Hallows at Henshaw and St.Cuthbert's, Beltingham. It was planned to stand on the north side of "The Mirrors" crossroads, but the ground had old clay workings in it, so Mr.Wilson gave to the churches a plot of land on the west side of the junction of the Thorngrafton and Westwood roads, north of where the playing field is now.

Photo © The Sturrock Family

church hall

The church hall was built by Catherine Sturrock's father and grandfather - the Wilsons. The photo shows all the men who did the building. The old picture shows the hall near completion in 1929. During the war it was used as an officers' mess and later held P.O.W.s who constructed the tennis courts. There were two courts - one of the net posts has been retained by the Taylors in their garden. The courts have become their lawn.

top

The Martydom of Bishop Ridley

Portrait of Bishop Ridley

Bishop Ridley

Nicholas Ridley: born Williemottswicke (or possibly Unthank Hall), Bishop of London, died a martyr's death Oct.1555 in Oxford where he was burned at the stake for refusing to renounce the reformed religion, along with Bishop Latimer. Latimer is reputed to have said, "Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man, we shall this day light such a candle in England, as by God's grace shall never be put out..



A bill was sent to the Government as follows:

For three loads of wooden faggots for the burning of Ridley and Latimer - 12s
Item- one load of furze faggots - 3s 4d
For the carriage of those loads - 2s
Item: a post - 1s 4d
Item: two chains - 3s 4d
Item: two staples - 6d
Item: four labourers - 2s 8d
Total - 25s 2d

top